problem moving a user's home directory to a new, location -- more --

Jay Ridgley jridgley2 at austin.rr.com
Mon Jun 23 14:09:28 UTC 2008

 From Vol 46, Issue 344, Message 8:

Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 12:49:36 +0000 (UTC) From: Aart Koelewijn
<aart at mtack.xs4all.nl> Subject: Re: re: problem moving a user's home
directory to a new location -- more -- To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
charset=UTF-8 On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 07:09:57 -0500, Jay Ridgley wrote:

> > I have been trying to figure out what is going on...
> >
> > If I login from a tty terminal (using ctrl-alt-F1) every thing is fine,
> > it appears that it is ONLY with the GUI interface (GNOME).
> >
> > I did find a file named .gtkrc-1.2-gnome2 that contained the following:
> >
> > # Autowritten by gnome-settings-daemon. Do not edit
> >
> > include "/home/jay/.gtkrc.mine"
> > <eof>
> >
> > I moved it to old.gtkrc-1.2-gnome2 and tried once again to login --- NO
> > CHANGE and the file was not rewritten... In addition the referenced file
> > does not exist in either directory.
> >
> > I can not find ANYWHERE that a pointer to /home/jay is set. However,
> > when I boot the system and initially login or if I logout and log back
> > in as user the initial terminal window that is launched is pointing to
> > /home/jay for the pwd. Now the weird part if I enter the cd command it
> > changes to /home2/jay. NOTE: I entered nothing other than the characters
> > cd & pressed enter!
> > I am including a copy of the screen:
> >
> > jay at polar:/home/jay$ pwd
> > /home/jay
> > jay at polar:/home/jay$ cd
> > jay at polar:~$ pwd
> > /home2/jay
> >
> > ALL subsequent terminal windows I launch point to /home2/jay. All of the
> > data and other information is available from the directory /home2/jay
> > without any problems.
> >
> > ANY AND ALL SUGGESTIONS,  please...
>

> If you do a "$ strace gnome-terminal" you can see which files are read
> when a gnome-terminal is opened. I suppose it should be something in one
> of those files.
>
> Good luck figuring it out.
>

 > -- > Aart If I run strace it traces the output of a NEW
gnome-terminal, not the one that was initially opened. Those do NOT have
a problem. What I need is information about what is happening from the
time the password is entered on the login screen until the desktop is
displayed with the initial gnome-terminal on it (that is the ONLY one
with the problem). BTW Don't use the $ in front of the command as
indicated by your the quotes. Regards, Jay

--

Jay Ridgley
jridgley2 at austin.rr.com
Registered Linux User ID - 9115