getting an external monitor to work

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Jun 18 01:23:56 UTC 2008

Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:

> I had to reinstall ubuntu and now have the same problem Ihad earlier and
> can't seem to find the thread that told me how to solve the problem.
>
> I have a radeon 9200.  WHen I connect an external monitor it gets no
> signal from the computer.

I just did this (in KDE, though) and had some significant problems.  First,
xorg.conf doesn't default to supporting an external screen.  You'd have to
configure that specifically, and I think you'd want to use "sudo
displayconfig-gtk" - but keep a backup of your current xorg.conf in case it
ends up making your _primary_ display not work (actually, it should do that
for you, but I was having trouble figuring out which backup was which, so
it was easier to copy my own).  It took me half a dozen attempts to get
_both_ displays to work, but that was because plug & play didn't work on
the external and I had to mess with options.  So I'd just restart kdm (gdm
for you, I presume) with the working xorg.conf and try again.
--
derek