ldap error please help

Smoot Carl-Mitchell smoot at tic.com
Tue Jun 17 22:11:56 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-06-17 at 21:45 +0200, Donny George wrote:
> Hello
>
> On my ubuntu 8.04 server, i wanted to install ldap and installed the
> ldap-utils then reconfigured slapd and when i do the ldapsearch -x -b dc=mml,dc=uni-freiburg,dc=de
>

>  i get result 32 No such object.

You need to specify a search filter.  e.g.

ldapsearch -x -b dc=mml,dc=uni-freiburg,dc=de "(cn=*)" cn sn

This should return the cn and sn attribute of all the entries with a
"cn" attribute.  Note that the default search base can be specified
globally in the /etc/ldap/ldap.conf file.  It is the BASE parameter.
You can also specify a default URI.  Usually, URI=ldap:///localhost
works.

Do an Internet search on "ldap filters" to understand the syntax.
--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
System/Network Architect
smoot at tic.com