How to rsync to an external HDD with TCP/IP ?

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux i-ubux at synass.net
Tue Jun 17 05:38:20 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-06-16 at 20:32 -0400, John DeCarlo wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 10:19 PM, SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux
> <i-ubux at synass.net> wrote:
>
>         Booting the system this morning the first time this external
>         TCP/IP HDD
>         shows up properly with a FTP folder on desktop as
>         192.168.144.140 ;-D
>
>         I am able too to create and manipulate folders ;-))
>
>         So, optimistically I tried rsync to get a first backup to that
>         unit with
>         the following result:
>
>         sna at WS222:~$ sudo rsync -av --progress /home/sna/
>         smb://192.168.144.140/Backup/710_804
>         ssh: smb: Name or service not known
>         rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so
>         far) [sender]
>         rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at
>         io.c(454)
>         [sender=2.6.9]
>         sna at WS222:~$
>
> Here are some suggestions:
>
> 1.  replace "smb:" with "ftp:"  It does support ftp, right?
>
> 2.  Try using "smb4k" to see if you can see the drive.  Remember, SMB
> is more complicated.  There may be a user name, a password, a
> workgroup/domain associated with it.  You won't know until you have
> connected via SMB.
>
> --
> John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own

Hi John
Thanks for your feedback and hints ! ;-)

Unfortunately it's too late to try your suggestions since I had / have
to erase the whole external HDD because it wants FAT32 to be recognized
via TCP/IP !? ;-(

Yesterday I tried a rsync from source (ext3) to target (fat32) with
horrible differences !!!
The IT folder has lost about 50% of items and about 20% of GB's !! ;-((

Inacceptable !!! ;-|

With these units It seems that I have to get along connected with USB !?

Currently quite frustrated and tired of these unsuccessful results. ;-p

Any further assistance and suggestions are very appreciated. ;-)
Cheers, svobi