tomcat 5.5

Markus Schönhaber ubuntu-users at list-post.mks-mail.de
Mon Jun 16 18:47:53 UTC 2008

Derek Broughton wrote:

> Markus Schönhaber wrote:
>
>> Derek Broughton wrote:

>>> First, I've never had a problem with _any_ of the Debian/Ubuntu provided
>>> tomcats.
>>>
>>> Second, I've not been on the tomcat user list for a long while, but I
>>> never saw that attitude when I did hang out there.
>>>
>>> Finally, because it's a darn site simpler to install Tomcat via apt ...
>> And you're telling me this because...?
>> You asked for a reason why one might want to use an upstream version of
>> Tomcat. I gave you one. That's all. There is neither need nor use in
>> arguing with me.
>
> Wow!  Touchy.  I didn't ask for a reason at all.  That "Why?" is rhetorical.

Not touchy at all. And whether or not your question is rhetorical or not
doesn't change the fact that there are reasons why one might want to use
the upstream package of Tomcat. One, I have given.

> I said installing from apt would be easier.  You disagreed

No, I didn't. Please, read again what I wrote.

> - so I didn't start this argument,

You did.

> but I'm _always_ prepared to indulge in one, and I
> backed up my point with three imo very good reasons for using apt.

That's where I, in fact, disagree. Very good reasons IYO. IMO you've not
provided something, I'd call a reason, but rather stated  once your
personal experience, once what you do not know, and once your personal
preference.

However, let's put this to rest. Who wants to Use Tomcat will pick the
way to install it according to his/her requirements.

Regards
  mks