How to rsync to an external HDD with TCP/IP ?

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux i-ubux at synass.net
Sun Jun 15 13:43:54 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-06-15 at 05:43 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:
> > On Sat, 2008-06-14 at 10:01 -0400, Brian McKee wrote:

> >> mount the folders and rsync to the mount point.
> >>
> >> I'm not certain of all the implications of backing up ext3 to fat32
> >> over samba - it could be some metadata is lost - I'd want to research
> >> that first.
> >>
> >> Brian
> >>

> > Hi Brian
> > Thanks for your feedback and concerns !
> >
> > I have absolutely no idea how to get the TCP/IP unit visible nor do I
> > know how to mount without any more specific data !!
> >
> > Have tried a few net commands without fortune ;-(
> >
> > Sorry ;-|
> >

> > Regarding the implication of backing up ext3 to fat 32:
> > Well I am interested to hear and learn about but don't worry about it !
> > My primary backup/s will be a rsync from ext3 to ext3 to an external USB
> > HDD !!
> > An additional backup will be tar to the same unit also ext3 to ext3 !!!
> >
> > Cheers, svobi
> >

>     Hi Svobi, for ext3 to ext3

ext3 to ext3 ???
I wrote ext3 to FAT32 !!!

> rsynch I do this. I first make certain
> that the things I am going to rsynch from and to are attached to this
> computer.

computer ???
I wrote external HDD connected with TCP/IP !!!

> You do that with a terminal in which you write $sudo mount -t
> ext3 /dev/sda? /mnt and that gets it like it is part of this computer.
> Another is if the thing has a USB cable then you plug it in and find it
> in the /media/ directory.

/dev/sda? ???
It's either FTP or Samba !!!

>     Now your ready to use rsync.

Like you replied here ...
... nothing will work, sorry !!! ;-(

>  Here is what I am using with nothing
> but success. I have mine in exacutable files. The one for backup is:
> karl at karl-hardy:~$ cat /root/bin/rsync-media
> # This file is designed to backup my Ubuntu to the USB Hard Drive using
> rsync
> # Karl Larsen, 8 june 08
> # rsync -vaHz --exclude '/proc' --exclude '/sys' --exclude '/media' /.
> # /media/disk
> # This is what works on my computer
> # rsync -vaH --exclude '/proc' --exclude 'sys' --exclude 'home'
> --exclude '/mnt' --exclude '/media' /. /mnt
> # This goes to the USB hard drive
> rsync -vaH --exclude '/proc' --exclude 'sys' --exclude 'home' --exclude
> '/mnt' --exclude '/media' /. /media/disk
>
> I have two that go to /mnt or /media/disk and even the first one sent to
> me by a good guy on the list.

I gotta success rsync from my /dev/sda? to my USB connected external
HDD,
an identical unit as the one connected by TCP/IP !

The difference are only identifiers (LD140 for TCP/ip & LD149 for USB)
with the
respective IP addresses: 192.168.xxx.140 and 192.168.xxx.149

I already gotta a partial success with this TCP/IP access with Places /
Connect to Server ! ;-)
Unfortunately it does not last since I am inexperienced with these NW
commands and stuff !! ;-(
Connecting to Server offers 7 service types !!!
Too much for me greenhorn / newbie. ;-D

> So have fun and it sure works good, Karl

However, thanks for your efforts, Karl
Cheers, svobi