How to rsync to an external HDD with TCP/IP ?

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sun Jun 15 11:43:17 UTC 2008

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-06-14 at 10:01 -0400, Brian McKee wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 8:42 AM, SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux
>> <i-ubux at synass.net> wrote:
>>
>>> It has a 200GB HDD and is FAT32 formatted and provides access with FTP
>>> and Samba.
>>>
>>> How do we rsync the backups to the existing Backup folder from my / our
>>> notebook/s to this TCP/IP connected unit ?
>>>
>> mount the folders and rsync to the mount point.
>>
>> I'm not certain of all the implications of backing up ext3 to fat32
>> over samba - it could be some metadata is lost - I'd want to research
>> that first.
>>
>> Brian
>>

> Hi Brian
> Thanks for your feedback and concerns !
>
> I have absolutely no idea how to get the TCP/IP unit visible nor do I
> know how to mount without any more specific data !!
>
> Have tried a few net commands without fortune ;-(
>
> Sorry ;-|
>

> Regarding the implication of backing up ext3 to fat 32:
> Well I am interested to hear and learn about but don't worry about it !
> My primary backup/s will be a rsync from ext3 to ext3 to an external USB
> HDD !!
> An additional backup will be tar to the same unit also ext3 to ext3 !!!
>
> Cheers, svobi

    Hi Svobi, for ext3 to ext3 rsynch I do this. I first make certain
that the things I am going to rsynch from and to are attached to this
computer. You do that with a terminal in which you write $sudo mount -t
ext3 /dev/sda? /mnt and that gets it like it is part of this computer.
Another is if the thing has a USB cable then you plug it in and find it
in the /media/ directory.

    Now your ready to use rsync. Here is what I am using with nothing
but success. I have mine in exacutable files. The one for backup is:
karl at karl-hardy:~$ cat /root/bin/rsync-media
# This file is designed to backup my Ubuntu to the USB Hard Drive using
rsync
# Karl Larsen, 8 june 08
# rsync -vaHz --exclude '/proc' --exclude '/sys' --exclude '/media' /.
# /media/disk
# This is what works on my computer
# rsync -vaH --exclude '/proc' --exclude 'sys' --exclude 'home'
--exclude '/mnt' --exclude '/media' /. /mnt
# This goes to the USB hard drive
rsync -vaH --exclude '/proc' --exclude 'sys' --exclude 'home' --exclude
'/mnt' --exclude '/media' /. /media/disk

I have two that go to /mnt or /media/disk and even the first one sent to
me by a good guy on the list.

So have fun and it sure works good.

Karl

--