Please help with access to windows shares and printers

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Sat Jun 14 13:46:46 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 11:55 PM, Lynn Ziegler <yadaoser at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a problem with my upgrade to 8.04.

Hate to see a well written and researched request like this go
unanswered so I'm answering - but I don't have a lot of input for you.
:-(

Only thing that occurred to me was I've had some odd issues when I
have multiple machines on the same network with the same hostname.
I'm guessing you have a standard home router - but if it doesn't
assign names as well as numbers via DHCP then I think you can end up
with multiple machines named 'ubuntu' - which then causes issues when
doing windows networking.  Also, since changes in Windows networking
can take a bit of time to propagate, if you change hostname or ip then
sometimes it takes things a little bit to calm down (think 10 minutes
say at a guess)

Other thing you might try for interest sake is the live 7.10 cd - if
it works still maybe then we can confirm it's an artifact of the new
software in 8.04

Brian