Hardy confusion and problems

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Fri Jun 13 20:31:02 UTC 2008

    I am confused how a LiveCD of Hardy which I used a manual selection
to find what I thought was /dev/hda7 which is not where it went. The
menu.lst has the root at hd(0,6) in grub talk but I find the Hardy at
/dev/sda5 which is mystery #1. When I boot up in Harty lots does not
work properly. If I have one Terminal open it will not let me open
another. I click on System Login Window it tries to come up but fails.

    Now I think /dev/sda5 was where I put the last try for loading Hardy
on the SATA hard drive. I was trying to load it on /dev/hda7 which ok I
thought but it didn't work.

    Now I am getting the nVidia full screen freezup on Hardy and I
seldom get those on 7-10 now since I fixed the fan in the computer.

    So I think something bad happened. The LiveCD must have said one
thing and done another. To correct this problem I am going to delete
Harty on /dev/sda5 and try again to load Hardy on my IDE hard drive.

    If I keep what I have I think it will fail in the end.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User