Vista (running ubuntu)

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Thu Jun 12 21:12:12 UTC 2008

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Nils Kassube wrote:
> > 1. Here it doesn't really work if there is no network at the
> > interface configured for the bridge (eth0) when I boot the machine.
>
> Oh...  That could be awkward.

Yes, I know - that's why I mentioned it. Actually I played a bit more
after I posted the original mail, and I found that it works if I'm very
patient, i.e. it takes a rather long time after the network cable is
plugged in until the routing works. I'll have to further investigate ...

> The one thing that looks like it may be different from the
> how-tos I've followed is that you have the bridge on DHCP, too - and I
> think the other sources wanted me to make it static.  I don't like
> static addresses...

Then the other sources didn't include the VirtualBox manual :)

Actually I use static addresses on my main machine where I am using
VirtualBox with a bridge setup for a long time now. But I wanted to
change my laptop to a bridge setup anyway, so I did it now and made some
notes. My laptop doesn't use static addresses, so I used the DHCP setup
from the VirtualBox manual.

And be warned, don't try it with a wireless interface because wireless
interfaces usually don't support bridging (according to what I just read
in the VirtualBox manual).

Nils