urgent+ubuntu 8.04 desktop+post installation trouble

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 12 14:58:39 UTC 2008

On 06/12/2008 02:05 AM, Donny George wrote:
> hello all
>
> thanks for all the help and suggestions
>

> as part of fixing the graphical problem in the ubuntu 8.04 server edition as
> per the suggestion frmo the mailing list i logged in to the failsafe gnome
> mode frmo the log in screen and installed the restrcited packages and then
> rebooted and everythign was fine
>

> but now my problem is that i installed an ubuntu 8.04 desktop edition and it
> has the same graphics problem and once i log in with user id and passwd it
> just returns to the log in screen. i tried the same method of failsafe gnome
> with the desktop edition but it didnt work. and when i try to make some
> updates with update manager it returns an error which says that it couldnt
> fetch  from http://de.archive.ubuntu.com... and that couldnt resolve the
> de.archive.ubuntu.com
>
> shall i in this case go for a reintall ?
>
> donny

If you are sure that you have a good network connection, you may have to
select a different mirror. The Ubuntu mirrors have problems on occassion
(more than they should) but generally clear up after a short while. More
than likely your host file is messed up (common on Hardy install); ping
the mirror:

~$ ping de.archive.ubuntu.com
PING ubuntu.mirror.tudos.de (141.30.3.82) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from tethys.zih.tu-dresden.de (141.30.3.82): icmp_seq=1 ttl=52
time=183 ms

and if its working try again.

If it can't resolve the host try 'ping localhost'. If that doesn't work,
then from a terminal:

nano /etc/hosts

change to:

127.0.0.1 localhost <computername>
127.0.1.1 <computername>

Nothing else on those two lines, particularly if you see:

127.0.1.1 <computername>.<workgroupname>

be sure to drop the .<workgroup> bit.

Note: for <computername> use the name in /etc/hostname:

cat /etc/hostname

Then:

sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

ifconfig

make sure that you have a valid network IP/interface showing up.

then

ping localhost
ping google.com
ping de.archive.ubuntu.com

If that works:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

After that reboot & try your failsafe mode again.