best graphical mode on ubuntu 8.04 server

Jeffrey Tooker Jeffreytooker at frontiernet.net
Thu Jun 12 04:46:21 UTC 2008

David Curtis wrote:

Dave:

I am running 7.10 as a newbie to avoid the 8.4 problems, as I have
enough to cope with the learning Ubuntu. I will try your
"Control-Alt-Numpad+" the next time I have an xorg revert. I have a Dell
with a 1.7 GB CPU, i845 graphics and an i810 driver. I have tried the
Intel driver twice but no joy. I went round and round with the xorg for
about a week and the i810 was the best fit, so I saved it. I can come
back to the i810 if my xorg takes a hike. My system will come up about
2/3 of the time in the desired resolution. The other third it does not.
Usually "Ctrl-Alt-Bksp" one time will get it to come up in desired
resolution. I posed the question about the resolution reverting and got
no answer, so I found my own solution. Since I use "Ctrl-Alt-Bksp" when
booting up I have no problem with loosing data. I will work with your
two suggestions and get back to the list if they correct the problem.

Thx.
Jeffrey