cannot link to internet with Ubuntu 8.04

Kim Briggs patiodragon at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 03:25:08 UTC 2008

On 6/10/08, Howard Nicholas <nicholas5854 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am having problems accessing internet using Ubuntu 8.04 on a new Toshiba
> Sastellite computer.  Whether I run Ubuntu 8.04 as a dual-boot with Windows
> Vista or boot on the Ubuntu CD the network indicator at the top right of the
> screen tells me I am not connected to the internet although I have a
> broadband access and I have no problems accessing the internet through
> Vista.  Does anyone have any solutions?
>

> Howard
> --
Hi Howard,

Is the broadband access wireless by any chance (like others have said,
you didn't say)?  I recently got a USB wireless card working very
easily using a program called ndisgtk.  Before using the  program
there was no indication at all that the card was even plugged in.
After using the program, WIFI is working swimmingly.  It works by
allowing you to use your Windows driver for the WIFI card under linux.

You would install the program by typing "sudo apt-get install ndisgtk"
in a terminal window.  It will also install a couple other programs.
Insert a CD with that has the driver ".inf" file on it in your drive.
Open up a terminal and type "sudo ndisgtk".  It still will show
nothing.  Click on the ADD type of button and browse to the .inf file
(I used a Windows XP one).  If it shows you that your hardware is
present, you are probably golden.  If not, I can't help you out...

cheers,
--
http://kimbriggs.com