cannot link to internet with Ubuntu 8.04

Steven Davies-Morris sdavmor at systemstheory.net
Wed Jun 11 15:52:46 UTC 2008

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Howard Nicholas wrote:
>
>> I am having problems accessing internet using Ubuntu 8.04 on a new Toshiba
>> Sastellite computer.  Whether I run Ubuntu 8.04 as a dual-boot with
>> Windows Vista or boot on the Ubuntu CD the network indicator at the top
>> right of the screen tells me I am not connected to the internet although I
>> have a broadband access and I have no problems accessing the internet
>> through
>> Vista.  Does anyone have any solutions?
>
> Yes.  Unfortunately, we'd all just be guessing since you haven't given us
> _any_ information.  The fact that it is a Toshiba Satellite is meaningless,
> as virtually all laptops come with multiple wireless choices.
>
> What sort of wireless card does it have?  If you don't know how to tell that
> from Linux, check the hardware configuration under Windows.

[nods]

I have a Toshiba Satellite, albeit an older model.  I'm willing to help
solve the problem, but more information, specific information, about the
laptop needs to be provided.

My glib guess right now is that it will be a combo of (a) enabling the
non-OSE drivers and (b) fiddling in "manual network configuration".
NP: early mixes for the next Systems Theory album