Let's say "disappointed with Hardy"

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Wed Jun 11 13:50:31 UTC 2008

I have been using Ubuntu since 5.10 I think it was.  I can currently
boot my notebook into three different versions of Ubuntu.

I am disappointed with Hardy.  Compared with 7.10:

 1. Sleep doesn't work so well.  It will sleep but on waking it
sometimes makes feedback noises out the speaker and puts up a message
saying the sleep failed.

 2. Waking up from sleep takes a long time.  I think it is trying to
find its network.  I get a text console.  I can switch to the GUI
console by hand, but a bit later it will blank and redraw the screen as
IT decides I am now allowed to use the GUI.

 3. The networking setup doesn't work so well.  I frequently have to do
a manual ifdown/ifup.

 4. Sound seems to not share well.  Firefox and Rhythmbox can both use
the sound out hardware, but only one at a time, the first one wins, I
need to quit it to use the other.

 5. The Panasonic function keys have all gone silent.  I think this is a
kernel.org change, but it is still a bottom line difference.  (Is
Panasonic really an obscure computer company?)

 6. At least one Java web site (logmein.com) doesn't work anymore.

(1, 2, and 3 are possibly the same issue.)

I did a clean install--not upgrade--but I used my old home directory.  I
recently blew away my old .whatever directories and things like the
compose key configuration that wouldn't stick now works across boots.

Are these fixable?  Probably--I notice another sound suggestion came in
that I have to try.  But these are things that did NOT work
out-of-the-box in Hardy.  These are things that did work in 7.10.

-kb