Forget Hardy

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Wed Jun 11 12:58:56 UTC 2008

Res wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jun 2008, Clayton wrote:
>
>>> Why do "experts" need to insult and harangue newbies?
>> Possibly because it gets frustrating to have to repeat the same answer
>

> Then, since this list is "Ubuntu user technical support", and you are
> saying the so called experts here are sick of helping people,

Um...I think the frustration comes from the newbies not taking any
initiative to search for or learn about the topic, so the same question
comes up over and over and over when the answer is RIGHT THERE for them
to put into Google.

>then I
> guess Canonical can safely do away with this list, since if it's only
> going to be used to tell people to 'RTFM' or 'google it', it actually
> serves little or no purpose.

Not the same thing. There are people asking for other's experiences with
issues, or best practices, or obscure problems that someone else may
have seen. How many times need it be repeated how to burn the CD when
the answer is right on the homepage with directions? Or what Ubuntu is?
Sometimes the best answer is a pointer to a site with the reading material.

I can't believe that you honestly can't see where there is some
understanding towards the other side of this issue, especially when
people are here offering advice and assistance without any compensation
other than, perhaps, a stroking of ego and the hope that someone will
reciprocate when they have a problem themselves. If you're looking for
someone to drop everything and cater to your exact questions or nearly
do everything for you then feel free to hire a consultant. Otherwise the
list is just a resource to try and find information from, and most of
that information is recorded, oddly enough, on the Internet in archives
for people to search through as well in addition to a number of other
resources for answers.