Similar Experience/Forget Hardy

Mike Bird mgb-ubuntu at yosemite.net
Wed Jun 11 04:35:47 UTC 2008

On Tue June 10 2008 19:50:38 David Fox wrote:
> > I used to use FreeBSD so maybe a switch to Gentoo would be
> > sensible.
>
> Or maybe debian?

Debian is great on middle-aged servers.  To run Debian on modern
desktops or laptops you have to use a mixture of Testing and
Unstable, and dedicate half your life to keeping it up to date.
Stable+Backports used to be an option but Backports is no longer
kept up to date.

Ununtu has gotten too weird.  I just tried and junked Fedora 9,
as KDE 4 is awful.  Fedora 8 is downloading now.  Fingers crossed.

All we need is stable unadulterated versions of most packages,
a real binary package manager (sorry Gentoo and Slackware), and
a recent kernel and graphics support.  Compared to Ubuntu that
would be a lot more value for a lot less effort.  If anyone
knows of a distro like this I really want to hear about it.

--Mike Bird