Crack GPG Password

H.S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 20:59:18 UTC 2008

Liam McCombes wrote:
> So, I forgot my GPG password. I hadn't used it for a while and it just
> slipped my mind. It's about 20 characters long. I do, however, remember
> the first 15 or so characters. Is there any program which I could enter
> in the known digits and have it use those to crack the rest? I
> understand this process could take a pretty long time but if anyone can
> help me out, I'd be really grateful ( and would be less stupid in the
> future).

I have been in a similar situation and got out okay by trial and error.
I know this isn't much help to you now, but in my case I had a sentence
as my password. Once after a looong time I tried it and it didn't work.
It was just a matter of recalling the correct words ending with the
right punctuation mark. It took me a few tens of tried to get it right
-- I knew the meaning of the sentence so it wasn't that hard. So, next
time, instead of a characters, try a sentence; it is much easier to recall.

My 2c.