Crack GPG Password

Blaine Fleming groups at digital-z.com
Tue Jun 10 20:10:22 UTC 2008

Bart Silverstrim wrote:
> You *can't* extract a part of a password like the OP is looking for. The
> algorithm used in creating the encrypted product doesn't look at your
> password as discrete chunks to be guessed like you see in the movies
> where you see, "Oh my @#$! He has the first three numbers already!"
> while you hear a crescendo of suspenseful music.

Again, the way I read it the OP wants to find out the missing part.  If
I have a password of "password" but all I remember is "passwor" then I
can brute force the remaining bit.  I would try "passwora", "passworb",
"passworc" then finally have success with "password".  I read the
original message as wanting exactly that (can the OP pop up and
clarify?!?).  A brute force attack on five characters using standard
english keyboard characters shouldn't take that long.

You're right, it isn't like the movies where it solves one character at
a time but the attack can be just as quick.

--Blaine