scripting compiz; could use some perl regexp help

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 16:03:01 UTC 2008

Just installed Ubunto 8.04 on a brand new clean system and noticed one
other thing I forgot to mention.

In order to let compiz manage your backgrounds, it is necessary to
tell nautilus to stop doing so.  gconf-editor, click to apps nautilus
preferences show_desktop and unclick that.  After that, the
backgrounds specified in compiz work.

Another weirdness I notice. On this system, when I click System/
Preferences / Appearence /Desktop Effects, it has 3 buttons for none,
medium and extra effects.  On the other system, there is a 4th button
that says "customize" and it launches a small version of the compiz
configurator.  I'm guessing I must have pointed and clicked
differently, somehow.

Aha! This is the one:

# sudo apt-get install simple-ccsm

PJ