scripting compiz; could use some perl regexp help

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 8 16:42:34 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 8:08 PM, Chris Mohler <cr33dog at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 7:53 PM, Chris Mohler <cr33dog at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 6:59 PM, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hey, kids!
>>>
>>> Changing to Ubuntu has had side effects.  A version of compiz that
>>> works with no fussing!
>>>
>>> Did you know that compiz is on the dbus, so you can tell it what to do
>>> in scripts?
>>>
>>> Awesome.  With 1000s of backgrounds, I want the wallpaper to change on
>>> all the sides of the cube all the time.  What fun!
>>>
>>> You can set images into the backgrounds array of the cube like so,
>>> where I drop in A.jpg and B.jpg.  You can put in as many as you want.
>>

>> Hmm - I can't seem to get different images on the cube faces.  Is
>> there another setting somewhere?  I've tried the dbus method adding
>> images in the "advanced desktop effects" dialog to no avail.
>
> Paul,
>
> I'm going to guess you're running KDE :)  Alas, I feel not like
> downloading all of that at the moment...

Gnome! (It'll be quite a while before I'm willing to gamble on KDE 4x ...)

Packages I installed:

$ dpkg -l | grep compiz
ii  compiz                                     1:0.7.4-0ubuntu6
                           OpenGL window and compositing manager
ii  compiz-bcop                                0.7.4-0ubuntu1
                           Compiz option code generator
ii  compiz-core                                1:0.7.4-0ubuntu6
                           OpenGL window and compositing manager
ii  compiz-dev                                 1:0.7.4-0ubuntu6
                           OpenGL window and compositing manager -
deve
ii  compiz-fusion-plugins-extra                0.7.4-0ubuntu1
                           Collection of extra plugins from
OpenComposi
ii  compiz-fusion-plugins-main                 0.7.4-0ubuntu5
                           Collection of plugins from OpenCompositing
ii  compiz-gnome                               1:0.7.4-0ubuntu6
                           OpenGL window and compositing manager -
GNOM
ii  compiz-plugins                             1:0.7.4-0ubuntu6
                           OpenGL window and compositing manager -
plug
ii  compizconfig-backend-gconf                 0.7.4-0ubuntu1
                           Settings library for plugins -
OpenCompositi
ii  compizconfig-settings-manager              0.7.4-0ubuntu2
                           Compiz configuration settings manager
ii  emerald                                    0.7.2-0ubuntu2
                           Decorator for compiz-fusion
ii  libcompizconfig0                           0.7.4-0ubuntu1
                           Settings library for plugins -
OpenCompositi
ii  libcompizconfig0-dev                       0.7.4-0ubuntu1
                           Development file for plugin settings -
OpenC
ii  libemeraldengine0                          0.7.2-0ubuntu2
                           Decoration engines for compiz-fusion
ii  python-compizconfig                        0.7.4-0ubuntu1
                           Compiz configuration system bindings

Use advanced config tool under the System/Preferences, make sure cube
and rotate cube are enabled.   Then Look for "Desktop Cube" and you
see an appearance option there.  You can put in many backgrounds.

I have mixed experience with the "emerald" decorator, so I've not been
running it. Just using the gtk-window-decorator that runs by default.

Oh, here's one more detail.  In the General Settings configuration,
there's a tab for "desktop size". In there, I have 8 for "horizontal
virtual size" and 1 for the other two values.

This does not include the wallpaper plugin, but it is easily build.
Wallpaper plugin not required, but is another way to do backgrounds
for people that don't do cube. I think Wallpaper is the only plugin I
installed, but I don't even need to run it because cube handles
backgrounds for me.

Google Found good HOWTO on setting up compiz &  adding plugins to
Ubuntu 8.04. It even has simple instructions on how to use git to grab
the newest source on special plugins. I'm pretty sure this was it:

http://forum.compiz-fusion.org/showthread.php?t=8214

But that website is not answering me right now.

I am sure I DID NOT remove existing packages from Ubuntu or install
new repositories of special packages.  I did not do the procedures
described here.

http://sathyasays.com/2007/07/01/go-crazy-on-eye-candy-with-compiz-fusion/