Couple of minor problems with the Heron (8.04 LTS) (Jay Ridgley)

Jay Ridgley jridgley2 at austin.rr.com
Mon Jun 9 02:41:12 UTC 2008

ubuntu-users-request at lists.ubuntu.com wrote:

|Message: 9
|Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2008 20:25:24 -0400
|From: steve <sfreilly at roadrunner.com>
|Subject: Re: Couple of minor problems with the Heron (8.04 LTS)
|To: "Ubuntu user technical support,	not for general discussions"
|	<ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>

|Jay Ridgley wrote:
|| Folks,
|
| I have 3 systems running 8.04 LTS all at the same release level and have
| a few questions:
|
| 1. Why when I double click a url in an e-mail doesn't it open up a
| browser window?

You are right; it was incorrectly set, FIXED now, THANKS.

|check system> preferences> preferred apps  make sure open link with
|default browser is selected.

|| 2. When you download a file (such as RealPlayer11GOLD.bin) where does it
|| get placed? I tried doing a find after following the instructions in the
|| ubuntuguide.org/wiki but the following commands yield nothing:
||     cd /
||     sudo find . -name RealPlayer11GOLD.bin -print (with or without
|| quotes around it.)
|
|I believe desktop is default, can always be changed in firefox under
|edit> preferences under the "main" tab.  if not sure where you saved
|something click tools> downloads then right click on whatever file you
|downloaded and choose open folder containing

The permissions for the download directory were incorrectly set, FIXED now. THANKS.

|| 3. I try to bring up SoftwareSources on one of my systems and the little
|| icon spins for a while then goes away and nothing happens? I am running
|| as an Administrator.
|
|wrong password?

Correct password is being used(verified it just now). If the password was not correct the System>Administration menu does not even display the SoftwareSources line in the list. In addition all my systems have a regular user and an administrative user assigned, regular users are NOT allowed to use sudo.

|| 4. On that same system when I try to do check in the UpdateManager
|| window after it says your system is up to date it never completes justs
|| grays the window out and sits there. Why?

Again the correct passowrd is being used here (see above).

|| Note: #3 & #4 work fine on the others.
|| I think this distribution and the community support it has is the best
|| in the business.
|| Cheers,
|| Jay
|| PS I am only 67, just a kid, been using computers since 1965, Unix since
|| 1992, Linux since release 0.99 & Ubuntu since 5.10
|| --
|| Jay Ridgley
|| jridgley2 at austin.rr.com
|| Registered Linux User ID - 9115

|- --
|Steve Reilly
|
|http://reillyblog.com

Thanks for the reply, I might add that in my PS when I said used I meant as in programming/software development/software engineering management.

Cheers,
Jay

--

Jay Ridgley