Couple of minor problems with the Heron (8.04 LTS)

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 00:59:57 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 6:11 PM, Jay Ridgley <jridgley2 at austin.rr.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> 2. When you download a file (such as RealPlayer11GOLD.bin) where does it get
> placed? I tried doing a find after following the instructions in the
> ubuntuguide.org/wiki but the following commands yield nothing:
>     cd /
>     sudo find . -name RealPlayer11GOLD.bin -print (with or without quotes
> around it.)

I don't think you need to search all from top. It must be somewhere in
 your home directory.

cd
find . -name "Real*"

will change to your home and search and show all files that start with Real.

To figure where your system is saving stuff, in Firefox, click Edit,
Preferences, and choose Main

Toward the middle of that panel you can tell it to always ask you
where to save stuff, That's what i do. I believe the default is

~/Desktop

but on some systems I've seen

~/Downloads

pj