X restarts under 8.04 LTS - by itself after an Error message - WHY?

Chris Mohler cr33dog at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 04:46:43 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 9:23 PM, Jay Ridgley <jridgley2 at austin.rr.com> wrote:
> Folks as the subject states my X session restarts after a time (random
> duration) messages from Daemon log follow:
>
> Network Manager: <info> Updating allowed wireless network lists.
> Network Manager: <WARN> nm_dbus_get_networks_cb(): error received:
> org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerInfo.NoNetworks - There are no wireless
> networks stored...
> gdm[31100]: WARNING: gdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error - Restarting
> :0

I doubt they are related.  Some things to check:

Do you have an ATI or nVidia Nard?  If so, are you using the
proprietary drivers?  If not, what type of video card to you have?
(lspci and lshw may tell you)

Does it only happen after the machine is idle?  If so, post the result of:
glxinfo | grep -i direct

Which version of Ubuntu are you running?

Chris