Joining two separate Evolution mail backups from the same account

Rick Berger rberger at rogers.com
Thu Jun 5 17:26:00 UTC 2008

I just making a copy of a mbox file 'z' that I save miscellaneous emails
in. This file is localed in '.evolution/local/mail', as well as a file
"inbox" which you will be interested in. I then open evolution and that
new file was there with the emails.

So I would suggest taking the backup file that contains the old mail you
want, which should be a tar file, and un-tar it in a different temporary
directory say 'x'. Then find the file 'inbox' in the 'x' directory
structure and copy it to a DIFFERENT name in your .evolution/local/mail
directory. So the command line should look like this:

> cp x/.evolution/local/mail/inbox .evolution/local/mail/myOldInbox1

Reopen evolution and myOldInbox1 will be there with you emails. you can
then move the contents of myOldInbox1 to your inbox, if you want.

You can also the remove the directory x and its contents.

I hope this helps and remember to do a backup of your current email
before you start, as well as disabling your incoming pop server until
you are happy you've everything is right.

Rick Berger