Edgy down?

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Jun 4 16:18:58 UTC 2008

Stuart Lesnett wrote:

> Rubin your heart maybe in right place but that does not make the newer
> releases any more stable.  Ubuntu has a habit of changing things without
> notify it users.  Some examples are: Pixart has disappeared and the
> replace a module doesn't work with all the software and cameras, another
> example is the last update xsane has stopped my all-in-one printer
> (CX5200) from scanning color only gray scale which has worked from the
> beginning, etc..  Trying to keep up isn't always the best way to go, my
> server is still on 5.05 and I have no problems with this issue.
>
> Loose the attitude.

Wow.  Pastor JW should be "Prophet JW".  What attitude?  He pointed to the
official word on Edgy.  So yes, it's time for an upgrade.  If you have
everything you want on a prior release (5.05???  No such beast), that's
great, but you're the one showing an attitude here.

On the subject of stability: of _course_ the newer releases aren't more
stable.  They're _newer_.  Nobody expects "new" to be rock solid, but gutsy
is, by now, solid, and hardy is pretty darn good.
--
derek