Wireless network problem after upgrade to 8.04

Ken McLennan kenrmcl at mysoul.com.au
Wed Jun 4 12:10:47 UTC 2008

G'day there One & All,

    I was recently running 7.10 without problem. It worked like a charm
out out of the box, detected all hardware including my Intel(R)
PRO/Wireless 3945ABG wireless network card and connected reliably
without problem. I upgraded to 8.04 via the System menu option (although
I can't recall its name) and after downloading & installing the packages
all was well except for the lack of networking. No matter what settings
I tried, I couldn't get it going. I dual boot with Windows and so was
able to check possible problems in a roundabout way. I followed the
suggestions I found and changed from "roaming" to the settings I wanted
- Ad-Hoc network using dhcp with no password. I also added a
"wireless-mode Ad-Hoc" line to /etc/networks/interfaces. All without
success.

    I followed other instructions that I found here & there without
success. I then swore & cursed loudly with the same result. "iwconfig
eth1 mode Ad-Hoc" continually got error messages about the device being
busy. The network-config gui told me that eth1 didn't exist, and showed
no address; eth1-avahi gave an address but whenever I pinged from there
I was told it didn't exist. After constructing a huge steaming pile of
frustration & pulled hair I reinstalled 7.10 from cd which again found &
reinstalled my network card and it worked fine.

    I then downloaded the install iso and tried again from the cd. Same
result again. Still no wireless, although this time I thought I'd ask
before playing about again. I have listings from lshw &
"/etc/init.d/networking restart" which mean nothing to me since I have
no idea of how networking operates.

    If anyone has any idea how to get it working again, please let me
know. If needed I can post the above listings but I'll save space for
the nonce unless someone needs them to glean any necessary information.
Please feel free to request other program outputs as I can follow
instructions, but I'm not quite up to diagnosing problems.

Thanks for listening,
Ken McLennan
Qld, Australia