No sound

Pastor JW pastor_jw at the-inner-circle.org
Tue Jun 3 21:42:06 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 03 June 2008 01:36:59 pm williec40 at hotmail.com wrote:
> Hi! I am new in Ubuntu. I have a problem with my sound. I have Ubuntu 8.04
> and my medias works well until I need to hear some radio station by Mozilla
> Firefox. Mozilla asked me to choose between various plug ins. Some of them
> was Xine, Mplayer and others. I choosed Mplayer. After that I did not hear
> the radio station neither cd players and dvd players. I tried a lot of
> stuff that I found via Ubuntu documentation, but nothing worked. Please, If
> anybody Know what to do, send me a massage. Remember that I am new with
> Linux-Ubuntu.

Which kernel are you using?  The latest kernel, 2.6.24-17 seems to have a
problem with sound and on my laptop the wireless connection although I could
get that to work.  If I want sound for watching a DVD for instance I have to
hit Esc in grub, (very early in the boot sequence) and choose the previous
kernel, 2.6.24-16 instead.  You didn't say what hardware you were using but
mine is intel duo-core on a new Dell laptop.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n><   PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org