iptrace?

Markus Schönhaber ubuntu-users at list-post.mks-mail.de
Tue Jun 3 13:11:08 UTC 2008

Dotan Cohen wrote:

> 2008/6/3 Markus Schönhaber <ubuntu-users at list-post.mks-mail.de>:
>> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>
>>> We are trying to pinpoint the fault that is giving me intermittent
>>> http 504 errors.
>> Then I'd suggest to use something like tcpdump or wireshark on the
>> external interface of your proxy to see what exactly times out.
>>

> Is there an online guide as to how to do that? I'm a ME major, not CS,
> and I don't want to make a whole university course out of this
> problem. I'm googling for info, but find nothing at the 'dummies'
> level.

Well, I'd say, diagnosing network-related problems might require some
network-related knowledge. At least I don't know of any dummy's guide on
how to achieve what you want to achieve.

OTOH, maybe the logs of your proxy provide some hints on what is going
wrong. I'd take a look at them - maybe after increasing the log level.

Regards
  mks