SOLVED: Re: Cannot access any samba shares since Hardy upgrade

Rich rich.lott.lists at peopleandplanet.org
Mon Jun 2 11:11:48 UTC 2008

(Nb. this problem is not solved while the bugs still exist, I've just
got a work-around)

Brian McKee wrote:
> Hmmm - that is an issue then.   And if the problem is in the Samba
> code, then upgrading isn't going to help either (as I'm sure you know
> already)
>
> Is the problem that you can't mount them ?  or can't access them ?

Can't mount them. I can access via the kio slave smb:// so I can copy
files to my local box, work on them and copy them back but in a
multi-user environment this is not really up to the job.

> e.g. if you use smbclient on it's own can you see and use all of them?
>  If so maybe one of the smb browsing apps will get you through for a
> while.   Or, you could play around with replacing just the smbfs
> package - I *think* it's the one that does the mounting.  Looking at
> that packages dependencies it doesn't look too bad - certainly not
> directly kernel related.
>
> If you can't even see them, then maybe consider wiping Samba off your
> machine completely and compile new from older source,  or going with
> older packages installed manually.

Haven't the time for it, really.

I've been nice to our sysadmin here and he's been very obliging, setting
up the server with a whole bunch of ip aliases one for each netbios name
(samba doesn't have this bug when using ip aliases instead of netbios
names,) and updating my hosts file and mount scripts. Threw up another
mysterious error (filed with openoffice), but solved that by adding the
"nobrl" option to the client's mount command.

Headache though!

Thanks for your suggestions/time though Brian, much appreciated.

Rich.