ip address on lan getting hijacked

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Jun 2 00:56:35 UTC 2008

Rashkae wrote:

> allot of work your suggesting there, and none of which is addressing the
> real problem,, why is a client which should never run dhclient doing so
> and re-configuring it's network settings at 9:30 every morning?

I addressed _that_ days ago - and suggested he just remove dhclient (which
he did).

> Really,
> I think it's time we stop talking about how you, or you, or you (holding
> magic mirror) would configure the network and figure out the basic "What
> the hell went horribly screwy in this perfectly normal and drop dead
> simple configuration"

I tend to take a different approach.  (1) stop the problem (in this case
remove dhclient, and it will certainly never again get a DHCP assigned
address); (2) find a better way to do what you've been doing, if possible.
We're way past (1), so now we have time to play with (2).
--
derek