ip address on lan getting hijacked

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Sun Jun 1 16:31:24 UTC 2008

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Bart Silverstrim wrote:
>
>> OR you do it the way I do it here...
>>
>> You have a home router with DHCP. You set the router to a set address,
>> like 192.168.1.1. You tell the DHCP configuration part of the firmware
>> to hand out a bank of addresses at a particular point, like, say,
>> 192.168.1.100 to 150 or 200. You *statically assign* addresses to key
>> devices...printers, your primary workstations, etc...in another "bank",
>> like 192.168.10 to 20 for printers, and 20 to 99 for your workstations,
>> only you don't use them in the DHCP server at all. You put them on the
>> devices themselves.
>
> Yeah, but he's doing that and he's still ending up getting a DHCP assigned
> address.

I was mentioning this for benefit of other readers that seemed to be
advocating a problematic configuration.

>> The DHCP can handle just your transient devices. Keep organized banks of
>>   IP's set aside to assign *on the devices* you're not going to change
>> so you can keep track of them and not have to reconfigure a new router
>> if something happens to them, as inevitably happens to home/SOHO
>
> Reconfigure?  Don't you have backups of the settings?  Get a Linux router,
> and treat it just like your PCs.  If mine fails, I'll just drop the config
> files from this one onto the next one.

This is one way to do it, I'm talking about dropping in a SOHO router to
replace an old one and "backups of configurations" are worthless if you
replace a linksys with netgear or a different model linksys, for example.

The router I have now handles my wired network (it's a switch), my
wireless, a bank of DHCP serving, and routing, and cost in the
neighborhood of $50 or $60 bucks, and won't need a keyboard or mouse or
monitor if something goes snarfed.

While I'm capable of setting up a linux system to act as a wireless
access point, DHCP server, port forwarding, 2 interfaces...my needs (and
the needs of probably 90% of average home users) are more than
adequately met by a simple inexpensive SOHO router with less space,
noise, and power consumption for the effort.