Network Printer

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sun Jun 1 06:07:59 UTC 2008

Willis Taylor wrote:
> I'm baffled,  Both my units are running Ubuntu Hardy and no matter
> which computer I install the printer on I receive the following message
> when I attempt to install the printer on the other machine...It is to
> obtain possible to a list of queues from this from this host.

I assume you want to use CUPS - or do you want to use Samba?
Can you tell us what type of printer you are using?
Does the printer work for the machine where it is connected?
If you enter the command

netstat -tan|grep 631

in a terminal, what is the output? If there is only the line

tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:631           0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN

your printer isn't setup for sharing. Maybe this will help you with the
setup: <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NetworkPrintingWithUbuntu>

> I'm not
> ready to deal with the fact that since upgrading both machines from
> Ubuntu 7.10 I cannot even share my work files any more.

So there are two problems? You can't share your printer and you can't
share files?

> I have installed ssh client and server on both machines and the files
> want a password but when I type my login pw it just comes back
> demanding a passsword.

What is the command you use where you are asked repeatedly for the
password?

Nils