8.04 networking seems awfully broken.

Pastor JW pastor_jw at the-inner-circle.org
Thu Jul 31 20:21:14 UTC 2008

On Thursday 24 July 2008 11:11:34 am Leif Gregory wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 14:20:41 -0300
>
> Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> > That's a design "feature".  It seems to be one of those odd stances
> > Linux developers are always taking - "since there's no security
> > benefit to hiding SSIDs, we won't gracefully handle them".
>
> Yeah. I agree it's not a strong security benefit, but it's still lame.
> I'm a n00b to Linux, but I've been in IT professionally for close to 20
> years. Layered security is a good practice. In and of itself, not
> broadcasting an SSID is relatively pathetic, but as one more layer on
> top of WPA/WPA2, TKIP, strong passwords, MAC control etc. There's
> nothing wrong with implementing it.

I think that also.  What is the point of advertizing in the first place?
Isn't that about like taking out an ad in the paper giving the address to
your house and further saying the key is under the mat?  You are less likely
to have unwanted visitors if you don't take out that ad!

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n><   PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org