8.04 networking seems awfully broken.

Leif Gregory ldgregory69 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 18:11:34 UTC 2008

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 14:20:41 -0300
Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:

> That's a design "feature".  It seems to be one of those odd stances
> Linux developers are always taking - "since there's no security
> benefit to hiding SSIDs, we won't gracefully handle them".

Yeah. I agree it's not a strong security benefit, but it's still lame.
I'm a n00b to Linux, but I've been in IT professionally for close to 20
years. Layered security is a good practice. In and of itself, not
broadcasting an SSID is relatively pathetic, but as one more layer on
top of WPA/WPA2, TKIP, strong passwords, MAC control etc. There's
nothing wrong with implementing it.

Yes, I know discovering an AP not broadcasting it's SSID is trivial
with the right tools, but hey, locking your car door only keeps out
thieves not carrying a screwdriver to pop the lock cylinder, or
something more hefty to break a window, and putting your convertible
softtop up will only keep out the thief not carrying a pocketknife or
other bladed instrument. We still do it anyways. Hopefully you've
implemented some other theft deterrent mechanism, but there's nothing
wrong with having an engine immobilizer *and* locking your car doors.

There's always the folks who say I never lock my car (or leave the top
down) so they won't have any reason to break or cut anything, but hey,
whatever trips your trigger. <grin>

--
Leif Gregory
Power Wagon Registry:  http://powerwagonregistry.org