Win98 -- all kidding aside

Mike McMullin mwmcmlln at mnsi.net
Wed Jul 30 19:05:35 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 14:20 +0100, Steve Flynn wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 2:04 PM, Bart Silverstrim
> <bsilver at chrononomicon.com> wrote:
> > Pastor JW wrote:
> >>
> >> I thought I had found one a couple years ago but I was wrong,  merely a case
> >> of believing windoze couldn't possibly be as bad as everybody said it was.
> >> In truth, it was even worse.
> >
> > Here's one...realities of not being able to convert the planet overnight :-)
> >
> > I have to use it for running Windows-only networking applications,
> > supporting Windows users on our network, and for a class I teach, I
> > usually have to run Visual Studio Express.
>
> Sometimes I wonder if I'm running a special version of an operating
> system which no-one else has. I don't have any real issues with XP,
> Vista, any flavour of Linux I have installed, OS X or an of the
> operating systems I use professionally (AIX, Dynix, z/OS and MVS). All
> of these people who find flavours of Windows completely broken
> bewilder me to be honest - mine all seem to work perfectly well
>
> /shrug
>
> --
> Steve

  I suspect that you are seeing the concept, "it's not only what you are
doing, but how you go about it", in effect.  I've seen people at work
have all kinds of trouble with one machine that gives me  no grief, but
then I just happen to work in a manner that well suits running that
machine.  I suspect that is also true of software.  My great complaint
about my XP-Home install is that it takes too long before I end up with
a usable desktop, that is followed by broken proprietary software that I
have a valid license for.