The Ubuntu Experiment

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Wed Jul 30 15:32:11 UTC 2008

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2008/7/30 Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com>:
>> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>> Now that everyone has heard about the Mojave Experiment (Microsoft
>>> showing off Vista as a new OS) why don't we organize an Ubuntu
>>> Experiment. We can show Ubuntu to people telling them it's a new
>>> computer OS, and when they fall in love with it we can give them a
>>> disk and say "not only that, but it's free!".
>>>
>>> What features would be good to demonstrate? Leave price out of it-
>>> that will come at the end.
>> I am a bit confused...not an unnatural state.
>>
>> Are you looking for help to develop a real world demo for your use on a
>> specific mission/project?
>
> No.

Oh, too bad.  I was hoping that you were enlisting the aid of the community
to develop a demo for your use to advance Linux and win over a group of users.

>> Or, is this an exercise that you are proposing we
>> all go through to demo in our respective environments.
>>

> After seeing the success Microsoft has had at combating preconceptions
> about Vista, I suppose that the Ubuntu community could combat some
> Linux preconceptions as well with a similar program.
>
>> Simply...is this your goal we are helping you achieve or something else.
>>

> Right now I'm just floating the idea. I don't really know what people
> other than myself and the ~20 people that I've installed Kubuntu for
> do with their computers. I also don't really know what are considered
> the killer features of Ubuntu / Linux vs the competition. So I'm
> soliciting ideas. If anyone wants to take an active stance and set up
> an Ubuntu Experience booth, I suggest they read through this thread as
> a lot of good info has been discussed here.

I see....

Kind of like when I tried to hold a Broadway play in my backyard when I was
8 or 9.

Where do you envision this "ubuntu Experience Booth" residing?  Are you
suggesting that the few folks on this list take on MS on its own turf?

Or, maybe you are suggesting that a demo be produced such that everyone
could use it and if they have an opportunity to present in a school, a
workplace, or another setting they could easily demonstrate the value of
moving to Linux (Ubuntu).

I suppose I am goal oriented.  I need to have a clear goal defined before I
put effort into the attempt to achieve the goal.  But, I don't have a clear
understanding of what your goal is.