install woes

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Wed Jul 30 14:51:32 UTC 2008

whoosh wrote:
> On 30-Jul-08 13:06:04 Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> whoosh wrote:
>>
>>> I have an AMD64 Sempron tower system from about 2006.
>>>

>>> if I install Ubuntu 8.04.1 desktop 64 bit, that freezes
>>    It can be a problem with all the newer systems. It is possible this
>> is your reason for failure. Try Ubuntu 8 with another mouse and keyboard
>> that are seperate.
>>

> with the Ubuntu desktop 8.04.1 64 bit CD, right at the start the keyboard
> functions to select
>
> language.
>
> then with the list of options I can also select options with the keyboard,
>
> and pressing capslock changes the caps-lock led.
>
> I now select eg Install Ubuntu -- safe graphics mode
>
> as it now boots capslock no longer changes the caps-lock led.
>
> when the screen with the picture of the bird appears, the mouse doesnt
> function.

    Right here your still using the LiveCD. This is rather odd because
most computers have zero problem with the LiveCD.

> there is the "Install"  window and the mouse doesnt function.
>
> Of course not since your mouse doesn't work.
> I tried an alternative keyboard + mouse and the same problem.

    OK it is not a hardware problem. Sounds to me you have a nVidia
problem. And you have NEVER had Ubuntu of any version installed on your
computer.

    Realize that an install problem is not the same as a installed and
working problem.

Try a text install and see if that will install the system.

Karl