Unable to use Ubuntu 8.04 live CD

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 30 01:56:06 UTC 2008

On 07/29/2008 01:29 PM, Jerry Alber wrote:

> I have tried the Ubuntu 8.04 Sixpack, Ubuntu 8.04 double sided DVD for
> both 32 and 64 bit, the "official" Ubuntu 8.04 CD and downloaded a
> Ubuntu 8.04 iso file, all with the same results of asking for a User ID
> and a Password.

None of this makes any sense... I'm not implying that you are wrong,
just that it doesn't make any sense for any of the CD's or DVD to ask
for a userid and password unless of course you are installing from and
then they ask as part of setting up a new user.  This is your's correct?

<quote>
During the setup process it asks for a User ID and a Password
</quote>

Where _exactly_ are you being asked for the UID and password? During the
installation? If so, that is normal; you need to give Ubuntu a user name
and password for the user that you are setting Ubuntu up for during the
installation process. There is no _preset_ username and password, you
are telling Ubuntu "I want to set up this user with this password".

Perhaps these will help:
https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/installation-guide/i386/index.html
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GraphicalInstall