Compiz or Firefox

Leonard Smith lenrsmith at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 17:54:46 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 19:20 +0200, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 08:13 -0500, Leonard Smith wrote:
> > Since upgrading from Feisty to Gutsy, I have
> > encountered a problem with my laptop locking up due to a process seizing
> > 100% of the CPU. I first noticed the issue while trying to setup VMWare
> > Player which worked great on Feisty. Whenever I had Firefox and VMWare
> > open at the same time my system locked up.
>
> Interesting. Could it be RAM starvation? Firefox 2 tended to use lots of
> RAM over time, and vmware does the same for principle reasons. How much
> RAM do you have in the laptop, and how much of it did you assign to the
> virtual machine(s)?

I have 1.5GB of RAM and I usually give VMWare 256MB but no more than
512MB.

> > I upgraded to Hardy and the
> > same problem surfaced. At first I thought it was Firefox and VMWare, but
> > I have noticed that compiz and evolution will take over at different
> > times.
>
> What does "take over" mean in this context?

Nothing more than one of those processes consumes all of the CPU. If I
can restart the xserver I can get things back, or if I can get a
terminal I can shut it down. At times, I've had to reset the whole
computer.

> > Does anyone have any suggestions on tracking this thing down? I've tried
> > to find information on bugs, but I haven't had much luck.
>
> I'm going to try to, but I make no promises :)

Thank you. Anything is appreciated.

Leonard