saving flv files streamed over rtmp

Sven aluoor at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 22:43:30 UTC 2008

On 07/27/2008 12:09 AM, andy baxter wrote:
> hello,

Hi Andy

> is there a way to save flv files that are streamed using rtmp? I want to
> record a flash video that is being streamed in this way, but can't see a
> way to do it in linux. There seem to be solutions for windows, so there
> must be a way of doing it. Mplayer won't play these streams, which is
> what I tried first.

Through Google I found an interesting thread on Linuxquestions[0] about
your problem.

In summary you need to install a Windows software and run it in Wine
emulation. There seems to be no other way.

=== Wikipedia ===
Orbit Downloader is a free, closed source, graphical download manager
for the Microsoft Windows operating system. One of the main features of
the program is its ability to grab and download embedded Flash Video
files from sites like YouTube, Dailymotion, Metacafe etc. Orbit
Downloader also accelerates downloads by acting as a peer-to-peer
client, utilising bandwidth of other users.

Orbit Downloader supports the following protocols:

     * HTTP
     * HTTPS
     * FTP
     * Metalink
     * RTSP (Real-Time Streaming Protocol)
     * PNM (rename PNM to RTSP)
     * MMS (Microsoft Media Services)
     * NSS (rename NetShow Services to MMS)
     * RTMP (Real Time Messaging Protocol)

Other people run successful Orbit Downloader in Wine (see Wine AppDB[1])

[...]
> andy

regards
Sven