Ubuntu 8.04.1 - Intel Pro/Wireless 3945AGB Solution (w/o Duct Tape)?

MJang mike at mommabears.com
Tue Jul 22 14:25:33 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-07-20 at 12:21 -0400, Odean H. Goforth wrote:
> I am wanting to migrate from Windows to Linux.  However my wireless
> card will not work with the current release of Ubuntu.  I am using a
> Dell Notebook E1505 with an Intel Pro/Wireless 3945AGB card.  This
> card worked fine with Ubuntu 7.10.

Dear Odean,

I have a Dell E1405 with the same 3945ABG wireless network card. I've
used it with both 7.10 and 8.04. I installed fresh both times. In both
cases, it worked fine out of the box. No duct tape required.

The device files did change - I think it was eth1 in 7.10. It's now
wlan0.

>From an lsmod, I see iwl3945, iwlwifi_mac80211, and cfg80211 modules
loaded on my 8.04 system. I think it was slightly different in 7.10, but
that's just my faulty memory.

I see the following in the output to my lspci -
0c:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
Network Connection (rev 02)

It shows up fine in the output to an iwconfig

Have you tried it from the Live CD? What do you see in the output to the
following commands:

lsmod
lspci
iwconfig