dial up modems

Alan_Dacey at horizonblue.com Alan_Dacey at horizonblue.com
Fri Jul 18 19:37:52 UTC 2008

>Douglas Pollard wrote:
>> Been doing battle with Comcast I am their only customer at the very end

>> of a line. They won't repair the line problems because one customer
does
>> not justify the cost.  I am going back to dial up and am wondering what

>> type of dial up modem to get.  I believe there is a list of hardware
one
>> line someplace   . I have Googled for it without any luck.  Any help
>> will be appreciated.                           Doug
>>

>    Don't ask here. Most of us are using high speed Internet. Figure out
>what software your going to use for dialup, like netzero ect. and ask
>them what to use. They have todays experience.
>
>Karl

I am looking into setting up a dial up for my wife's Buddhist temple.  One
of the programs that you could use PPP and it is either already installed
or just an apt-get away.  They are dragging their feet so the only other
thing I have for you is that Comcast's customer service does indeed have
room for improvement and you might want to look into 'Basic ISP'.  They
provide the same services for less in the long run.  They do not
officially support Linux and I do not know how their customer service is
but it looks promising.  All the parameters I talked to them about are in
PPP.  Here is a how-to http://tldp.org/HOWTO/PPP-HOWTO/   There was some
work done on actual modems here
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Outofthebox/Modem/Softmodem  There are a lot links
on that page that may help you too.
Good Luck :-)

GrokIt
This message and any attachments are solely for the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, disclosure, copying, use, or distribution of the information included in this message is prohibited -- please immediately and permanently delete this message.