Aureal Vortex 8830 no sound in ubuntu

debian debiani386 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 02:11:50 UTC 2008

hi all

I have an Aureal Vortex 8830 (with 3D sound support) in my ubuntu box.
It worked just fine on ubuntu 6.06, however i inserted it into an ubuntu
8.04 box and suddenly it quit working.

Ubuntu 8.04 sees it and sets it up, but it plays back no sound in gnome.
It will play the little drum noise when i boot ubuntu into the log in
screen, but once it hits gnome, it stops completely. I can also run it
in the terminal just fine (i mean i can use programs like mpg123 and
ogg123 and it plays just fine in the terminal)

What i want to do is get it working and possibly get some 3D sound out
of it..any suggestions?

--cj