hash sum mismatch when trying to upgrade

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 15 00:37:27 UTC 2008

On 07/14/2008 07:47 AM, Michael P. Varre wrote:

> Getting a bunch of these when trying to run do-release-upgrade -d.
> Last week when I did a test run of the update on a dev machine it was
> working fine, now nothing.  I am getting the same results on all my
> machines that I'm trying it on now.  I've tried to wipe out
> /var/lib/apt/lists/ like some lists had suggested, I've tried normal
> updates, I've tried cleaning and -fix-missing to no avail.  Been
> trying for the last 24 hours.
>

> Is this a problem with the mirrors or did something magically go
> wrong on all my 6.06 ubuntu machines?

I've found that there always seem to be problems with the mirrors at one
time or another. Find a local one that is fast & reliable and try that.
However, I recommend doing the upgrade directly from the Alternate CD.
Burn the current 8.04.1 Alternate CD and (assumes you have the Gnome
desktop installed on the machine) with the desktop open, put in the CD.
You will then get a prompt to upgrade distribution, select that and when
it asks you if you want to include network upgrades/files (can't recall
the exact wording) say no. It will then do the upgrade directly from the
CD. After it is complete you can then reconnect and do a standard sudo
apt-get upgrade/sudo apt-get update to complete any remaining updates.
There are not very many on 8.04.1 at the moment, so it's pretty complete.

Further, your dapper (6.06) machines don't tie up your internet
connections while they are upgrading from the CD. For me this is a _big_
issue as the internet upgrades have no throttle, and soak up as much
bandwith as the line allows. Meaning that if you have a single DSL line,
the line is pretty well hosed until the online upgrade is complete.

http://releases.ubuntu.com/8.04/
Alternate CD.