hash sum mismatch when trying to upgrade

Michael P. Varre mvarre at kishmish.com
Tue Jul 15 12:48:54 UTC 2008

[Michael P. Varre]

I've tried main, us, en, ar, fr, and one or two others and I get the same
results from all of them, and again its happening on all my 6.06 machines.
I've been googling for other mirror choices and stumbling upon them.  Is
there an updated list somewhere?  Is the CD download mirror list the same
for the repositories?

> However, I recommend doing the upgrade directly from the Alternate CD.
> Burn the current 8.04.1 Alternate CD and (assumes you have the Gnome
> desktop installed on the machine) with the desktop open, put in the CD.
> You will then get a prompt to upgrade distribution, select that and
> when
> it asks you if you want to include network upgrades/files (can't recall
> the exact wording) say no. It will then do the upgrade directly from
> the
> CD. After it is complete you can then reconnect and do a standard sudo
> apt-get upgrade/sudo apt-get update to complete any remaining updates.
> There are not very many on 8.04.1 at the moment, so it's pretty
> complete.

[Michael P. Varre]

Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately my systems are LTS Server installs and
I do not use Gnome or any GUI on any of them.  From what I've read, the
upgrade via CD is only available under Gnome, right?

> Further, your dapper (6.06) machines don't tie up your internet
> connections while they are upgrading from the CD. For me this is a
> _big_
> issue as the internet upgrades have no throttle, and soak up as much
> bandwith as the line allows. Meaning that if you have a single DSL
> line,
> the line is pretty well hosed until the online upgrade is complete.
[Michael P. Varre]

Moot point for me as these are all in a datacenter and I can eat all I want
:)