24 hour clock in Evolution

sktsee sktsee at tulsaconnect.com
Mon Jul 14 19:39:16 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-07-13 at 18:16 -0700, NoOp wrote:
> On 07/13/2008 12:51 AM, Rick wrote:
> > On Sat, 2008-07-12 at 23:21 -0700, NoOp wrote:
>
> >> so I'm surprised that it does not set your's to 24 hours also. Did you
> >> close Evolution before the LC_TIME=en_DK.UTF-8 /usr/bin/evolution
> >> command? If you did it while Evolution was open then the command will
> >> have no effect; the command is meant to _start_ evolution with those
> >> time settings. Can you please try again with Evo closed?
> >>

> > Evolution was open and I called up a second iteration, which did not
> > work. I should have expected that, but pasting does not work when the
> > source is closed. Now I have pasted the code into a text editor and then
> > copied and pasted it from there to the Terminal. For some reason, E just
> > closed. With E closed the code ran as you expected, and I had 24 until E
> > crashed, then am/pm reappeared. Now I'm back to 24 after replaying the
> > code, and recovery. Let's see how long this will last.
> >
> > Thanks, Rick
> >

> OK. That shows that setting the LC_TIME to a DK setting will change Evo
> to display everything in 24 hr settings including the email notices. So
> that's a good thing. Now I just have to do a little more research on how
> to get it set to a permanent setting without screwing up all of your
> extra language settings. Note: that setting should not/would not have
> changed your french keyboard setting that I know of. My guess is that
> perhaps the Thunderbird setting may have. Perhaps you can reverse
> whatever you did in TB and that will resolve that problem.

OK, I'm hesitant to post the following solution given the apparent
fragility of the OP's system, but it might benefit some users whose
systems are more robust and aren't prone to breaking just by setting one
environment variable ;)

"sudo update-locale LC_TIME=en_ZA.UTF-8" will globally set the LC_TIME
environment variable for the system and not affect other LC_ environment
variables. If the command is successful, /etc/default/locale should
contain the following lines assuming the locale settings weren't
previously altered:

LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_TIME=en_ZA.UTF-8

User needs to logout after issuing the command, so that the shell picks
up the change when user logs back in. (Variable isn't automatically
exported). Use the locale command to confirm change after logout/login

$locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME=en_ZA.UTF-8   <---changed
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

I chose en_ZA.UTF-8 instead of en_DK.UTF-8 because it differed from his
default locale (en_US.UTF-8) only in the absence of an am/pm format
(defaulting to 24h format) and the date format which was d/m/y instead
of m/d/y. OP had that format set in Nautilus, so I figured it is his
preferred date format.

> LC_TIME=en_DK.UTF-8 /usr/bin/evolution
> simply tells your system to run evolution using that LC setting while it
> is running. As you saw, when Evolution quit (or crashed -- it should not
> have), the am/pm settings returned as it then returned to
> LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8" when the application quit.
>
> As for time being Jeruselem time; that setting should remain the same,
> and did according to your test. LC_TIME=en_DK.UTF-8 /usr/bin/evolution
> would not have changed your system setings. Also, I know of no LC_
> locale settings for Israel/Jeruselem (maybe Dotan from this list can
> help there).

he_IL.UTF-8 and he_IL.ISO-8859-8 are the localizations for
Hebrew/Israel.

--
sktsee