24 hour clock in Evolution

Rick rufus at hanadari.net
Mon Jul 14 04:32:05 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-07-13 at 18:16 -0700, NoOp wrote:
> On 07/13/2008 12:51 AM, Rick wrote:
> > On Sat, 2008-07-12 at 23:21 -0700, NoOp wrote:
>
> >> so I'm surprised that it does not set your's to 24 hours also. Did you
> >> close Evolution before the LC_TIME=en_DK.UTF-8 /usr/bin/evolution
> >> command? If you did it while Evolution was open then the command will
> >> have no effect; the command is meant to _start_ evolution with those
> >> time settings. Can you please try again with Evo closed?
> >>

> > Evolution was open and I called up a second iteration, which did not
> > work. I should have expected that, but pasting does not work when the
> > source is closed. Now I have pasted the code into a text editor and then
> > copied and pasted it from there to the Terminal. For some reason, E just
> > closed. With E closed the code ran as you expected, and I had 24 until E
> > crashed, then am/pm reappeared. Now I'm back to 24 after replaying the
> > code, and recovery. Let's see how long this will last.
> >
> > Thanks, Rick
> >

> OK. That shows that setting the LC_TIME to a DK setting will change Evo
> to display everything in 24 hr settings including the email notices. So
> that's a good thing. Now I just have to do a little more research on how
> to get it set to a permanent setting without screwing up all of your
> extra language settings. Note: that setting should not/would not have
> changed your french keyboard setting that I know of. My guess is that
> perhaps the Thunderbird setting may have. Perhaps you can reverse
> whatever you did in TB and that will resolve that problem.
>
> LC_TIME=en_DK.UTF-8 /usr/bin/evolution
> simply tells your system to run evolution using that LC setting while it
> is running. As you saw, when Evolution quit (or crashed -- it should not
> have), the am/pm settings returned as it then returned to
> LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8" when the application quit.
>
> As for time being Jeruselem time; that setting should remain the same,
> and did according to your test. LC_TIME=en_DK.UTF-8 /usr/bin/evolution
> would not have changed your system setings. Also, I know of no LC_
> locale settings for Israel/Jeruselem (maybe Dotan from this list can
> help there).
>
> I'm currently doing 8.04.1 upgrades tonight for others, so it may take
> me some time to research the LC_TIME=en_DK.UTF-8 etc permanent
> settings... perhaps others on the list can assist in the interim? Either
> way I will get back to you on this.

Believe me. I very much appreciate your assistance. I corrected the
keyboard glitch and all was well with four keyboards and even the
key-stroke shortcut, but when I restarted this morning, it was back to
being broken. It may very well be that my computer itself is screwed
up ... or bewitched ;-).

I really do have lots of projects going that have had to be on hold
because of the OS problems or limitations. Perhaps I'll install Kubuntu
(replacement, not the chaos I created before) and give that a run. At
any rate, it seems that I cannot get Ubuntu to behave nicely this time
around. Perhaps 9.04 will finally do the trick.

Most sincerely and thanks to all (I began to type ... for all the fish!)

Rick