24 hour clock in Evolution

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 14 01:16:10 UTC 2008

On 07/13/2008 12:51 AM, Rick wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-07-12 at 23:21 -0700, NoOp wrote:

>> so I'm surprised that it does not set your's to 24 hours also. Did you
>> close Evolution before the LC_TIME=en_DK.UTF-8 /usr/bin/evolution
>> command? If you did it while Evolution was open then the command will
>> have no effect; the command is meant to _start_ evolution with those
>> time settings. Can you please try again with Evo closed?
>>

> Evolution was open and I called up a second iteration, which did not
> work. I should have expected that, but pasting does not work when the
> source is closed. Now I have pasted the code into a text editor and then
> copied and pasted it from there to the Terminal. For some reason, E just
> closed. With E closed the code ran as you expected, and I had 24 until E
> crashed, then am/pm reappeared. Now I'm back to 24 after replaying the
> code, and recovery. Let's see how long this will last.
>
> Thanks, Rick

OK. That shows that setting the LC_TIME to a DK setting will change Evo
to display everything in 24 hr settings including the email notices. So
that's a good thing. Now I just have to do a little more research on how
to get it set to a permanent setting without screwing up all of your
extra language settings. Note: that setting should not/would not have
changed your french keyboard setting that I know of. My guess is that
perhaps the Thunderbird setting may have. Perhaps you can reverse
whatever you did in TB and that will resolve that problem.

LC_TIME=en_DK.UTF-8 /usr/bin/evolution
simply tells your system to run evolution using that LC setting while it
is running. As you saw, when Evolution quit (or crashed -- it should not
have), the am/pm settings returned as it then returned to
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8" when the application quit.

As for time being Jeruselem time; that setting should remain the same,
and did according to your test. LC_TIME=en_DK.UTF-8 /usr/bin/evolution
would not have changed your system setings. Also, I know of no LC_
locale settings for Israel/Jeruselem (maybe Dotan from this list can
help there).

I'm currently doing 8.04.1 upgrades tonight for others, so it may take
me some time to research the LC_TIME=en_DK.UTF-8 etc permanent
settings... perhaps others on the list can assist in the interim? Either
way I will get back to you on this.