Copying A Disk

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 12 22:23:47 UTC 2008

On 07/12/2008 01:01 PM, Pete Holsberg wrote:
> NoOp has written on 7/12/2008 3:30 PM:

>> You might try some of these:
>>
>> http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page
>> http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
>> http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
>>  [http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/Damaged_Hard_Disk]
>>
>> They all contain some pretty good disk recovery tools.
>
> You gave me an idea so I downloaded a copy of Spinrite so I could try to
> recover the files on the machine that created them, w/o introducing USB,
> etc.
>
> Spinrite sees Drive 0, part 1 as NTFS or OS/2 HPFS followed by an
> unpartitioned gap. And it runs the recovery program w/o errors through
> 21.51% (8,603 MB) of the drive before it invokes it's "dynamic data
> recovery" thing.
>

> So why is Spinrite able to see the drive when Winders and Linux cannot???

No clue (lots of WAG's but not worth posting). You might have a look at
these from TestDisk:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/Data_Recovery_Examples
Note the Dell info.
Here is the Analyse info:
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/Menu_Analyse

Might be worth a try seeing as how you did manage to get some info off
of the drive.